Monday, June 2, 2008

New Menu!

As expected, the Faculty Center has changed their menu. And the first report says it is more than palatable. 

Handed out the course evaluations to my students and told them I'd be back in 30 minutes. Dashed across the street to find two other regulars staring at the menu board. I snuck by them, grabbed a tray and sidled up to the stainless. I ordered a sausage and peppers over rice dish, grabbed a little cherry cobbler and hit the checkout line.

One advantage to new menus and new people - she couldn't find the button for my meal, so she rang it up as two side dishes and I saved about a buck. (Which I would normally point out, but remember the help had issues making the right breakfast sandwich a few weeks ago and then overcharging, so I figured it balanced that out nicely.)

Sausage had just a little spice to it, the peppers were just about perfectly soggy. Rice was rice, hard to screw up unless you're being sabotaged on Top Chef or something. 

Sat with Willett, who allegedly retired last semester but is teaching a Maymester course, as well as a class for the art school in the fall on the history of graphic design. (I suggested that would be easy - first there were pencils, then there were Macs. He said he'd enroll me in the class as I needed some help in the area ...) I suspect his "retirement" was just a ploy to get some free cake.

He is a smart man.

8 comments:

Hollander said...

New Menu!

Reason enough to get to campus this week and grab a meal. Probably Thursday, when thru session begins.

Oh the anticipation...

hmmm, shouldn't there have been a full multimedia presentation on this by your class? Final project?

k said...

New menu or not ... run while you can! Don't eat there! It's still the same old crap. Haven't you people ever read Upton Sinclair's 'The Jungle' -- where do you think they get their so-called sausage.

It's MayMester for God's sake! Take that extra money & go to PitaPit. Or at least to the Union food court!

I can't believe you eat there.

Hollander said...

PitaPit?

I'm gonna eat at a place called PitaPit? I don't think so. Sounds suspiciously like olive pits, or pit bulls, or the Pit of Despair from Princess Bride, or the Pit and Pendulum by Poe. Sounds like the pits. Pitiful. To be pitied. Or even like PetaPit. Hmmm, now I know where all those animals end up...

Karen Miller Russell said...

I feel compelled to report, in the interest of blog truth and accuracy, that the Faculty Center has indeed screwed up rice. On more than one occasion, I've had crunchy rice in my black bean Dawg Dish.

Mark E. Johnson said...

Since she's off on another coast, Sweetser may not know the Bulldog Cafe has been closed for the month.

Regardless, when she returns she will have to join us for lunch again. Only fair to give them a chance for redemption.

Geoffrey Graybeal said...

I liked the new sausage dish. It was way too oily, but it tasted good. Very spicy. It's good to have the regular staff back too.
PITA Pit is also awesome, even though it does sound like "PETAPit." And yes they do serve animals- Chicken!
Somehow, in all my past trips to the FC I never paid attention to the health scores. The big red "89" finally caught my attention on Monday. That's three points below an "emerging hazard to your health" but nine points above an "immediate hazard to your health." Whew.

Marta said...

In truth I was VERY unhappy about that health score, but this is how I have come to view it. It's a B+, and we did not make the honor roll this time around. And that is an accurate decription.

Since finding your blog I have been re-inspired to press for accountability in the preparation of the food. In my favor, some structural changes have happened in this area and I think this time we may get some results. So I hope you will hang in there with us. KR is right. They CAN and HAVE screwed up the rice!!!!

Hollander said...

About a year ago the state got tougher (and more realistic) about restaurant health scores. They used to be artificially high, so when you saw a place scoring a 60 you knew it had to be bad (yes, I ate at one of those in town ... and survived).

Now they're stricter, so B+ ain't bad. It means you keep the Hope Scholarship.

Er, lunch again today at home. Still no chance to try the new menu. Suspense building.