Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A New Level of Lemonicity

My plan was to avoid campus this week. Which was going fine, until I remembered I had to help set up the GSPA photo students on Monday. And then I had to go in to get something out of my cage for another faculty member ...

But that's not what I'm going to write about. When I returned home for lunch on Monday, my wife's newest bestest friend was here, delivering ... lemon bars

And not just any lemon bars, but vegan lemon bars. I was concerned, for a moment, but it all passed with just once sniff.

There was obviously a high level of lemon in these bars, though I have to admit the top level looked more gelatinous than any other lemon bar I'd seen of late. (Surprising, really, since there would be no gelatin in a vegan lemon bar.)

The taste was heavenly. A citric assault on the senses. The crust was crusty, a crunchy under-layer of support rarely experienced. 

I ate two. If we are blessed with them again, I will not share.

2 comments:

Janet said...

*blushing* -- the recipe comes from "The Joy of Vegan Baking" (http://tinyurl.com/49okz9), which is chock full of great recipes. My motto about vegan baking: you get to lick the beaters!

If there are any other food items from TFC that have been butchered beyond recognition (literally or figuratively) that you'd like me to try to repair, I'm always up for a challenge. :)

Janice Hume said...

Lemon Bar karma has reached a new zenith. I knew about the vegan delivery IN ADVANCE... witnessed the ingredients being purchased at our local hippie food mart. I was buying shirataki tofu noodles, but that's another story.

Today's LATFC report.

Hume: Chili on rice
Hollander: Eggplant parmesan
Russell: Chicken supreme

A good time was had by all. Not necessarily a good lunch.