Thursday, June 12, 2008

Crabby

Grabbed a quick lunch at TFC, tried "Crabby Cakes" on a whim. Not the kind of crab cakes I'm used to, more of a casserole tasting vaguely of shellfish. There may have been actual crab in the mix but I doubt it. Could be they served vegan crab. Vegan, of course, is Latin for tastes kinda like real food. Or maybe it's Greek for tofu surprise. I've forgotten my classical languages.

As the husband of a Cajun I'm picky about seafood, so I won't eat the crabby cakes again.

Oh, favorite TFC seafood menu moment: cajun cod. They actually served this a few years ago. You don't find many cod in the Gulf or migrating up the bayou, so I was impressed they located so many that had lost their maps and swam to Louisiana. Dumb fish.

5 comments:

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Actually, "vegan" is taken from a little known Ethiopian dialect. It's a derivative of "veganachiqo nokilldabehbees-kitu", which means (in a rough translation) "free of mercury, e.coli, and other toxins." But I am with you on the point that some things just shouldn't be veganized. There used to be a fake tuna product called, appropriately, Tuno, to which I say, Amen.

http://tinyurl.com/6kb78x

(link was too long in previous post)

Janet said...

I stand corrected. This just in:

http://tinyurl.com/6nzvlh

If anyone can make an edible vegan crab cake, it's Dreena Burton. I will report back whenever the recipe is made available.

I promise you, even if it's made with pureed tofu and steamed collards, it will be tastier than what passes for food over at TFC!

Hollander said...

Anything with collards or greens is good for me. Grew up eating turnip greens, collard greens. My grandma used to send me out to pick watercress for lunch.

Of course she'd then pour hot bacon grease on 'em. Yum!

Karen Miller Russell said...

The word incorrigible comes to mind, but I'm not sure which one of you it's in reference to. And yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition.